Bula Vinaka & Welcome to the Ministry of Forestry Website

The Forestry Sector will increasingly become highly critical especially in the face of the ongoing threat of climate change and the need to sustainably manage our natural resources, and to grow our economy.

Trees and forests play vital roles in climate change mitigation and adaptation, in environment protection and increasing biodiversity, and in growing our economy in improving livelihoods for all Fijians-all of which lead to socio-economic and political stability.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I contribute to the 30MillionTrees15Years tree planting target?

You can be part of the 30MillionTrees15Years tree planting by contacting the Ministry of Forestry. These are the contacts of the Directors of Forestry for each of the three (3) divisions that can assist you with being a part of the tree planting initiative:

Director Operations – Central/Eastern

Mr Moape Lotawa

Mobile : 2216722

Landline : 3479199

Email : moape.lotawa@govnet.gov.fj

Acting Assistant Director Operations – Central/Eastern

Mrs Arieta Tupou

Mobile : 9988701

Landline : 3479199

Email : arieta.tupou@govnet.gov.fj

Director Operations – North

Mr George Vuki

Mobile : 9928955

Landline : 8815674

Email : george.vuki@govnet.gov.fj

Assistant Director Operations – North

Mr Uraia Racule

Mobile : 9778640

Landline : 8812077

Email : raculepaula@yahoo.com

Assistant Director Operations – West

Mrs Akesa Ravia

Mobile : 8367644

Landline : 6661300

Email : akesa.ravia@govnet.gov.fj

2. Will the Ministry of Forestry be buying seedlings if we have them, if yes how much does it pay for seedlings?

In order to economically empower people, the Ministry of Forestry is encouraging communities and villages to have their own nurseries and the standard purchase price for tree species are as follows:
Sandalwood - $5
Native, Fuelwood and Fruit Trees - $3

Please note that having a nursery does not necessarily mean that the Ministry of Forestry will buy as it still has to follow the government procurement processes.

3. How do I get assistance to have a Community Nursery in my village?

You may contact the Divisional Forestry Officers to request for a Nursery Attendant Training to be conducted prior to having your nursery constructed.

4. How do I get a Forest Volume Assessment?

You would need to apply in writing to the Permanent Secretary of Forestry, P.O.Box 2218 Government Buildings, Suva.
Attention: Director Forest Resource Assessment & Conservation.

The following documents to accompany your application:

1) Consent Letter

Native Land – Require 60% approval for members 18 years and above and also ITLTB consent.

State Land – Consent from Director of Lands.

Freehold Land – Consent of the Owner.

Lease Land – Consent of the Lease Owner.

2) The consent letter should include a Mataqali map known as NLC Map Sheet (Mape ni Veitarogi Vanua) on scale 16 chains to 1inch. The ITLTB can provide a copy of the map on request.

3) The area applied should be properly marked or highlighted on the map. It is important to note that the assessment will be based on the subject area provided.

4) The application takes five (5) working days to process prior to collection and can be only released after the Forestry fee is paid.

5) The cost is based on the new rates approved by the Ministry of Finance on 1st April, 2005.

Rates for Volume Assessment

Area (ha) Cost
1-99 $29.54
100-199 $34.71
200-299 $37.67
300-399 $42.06
400-499 $45.09
500-599 $48.74
600-699 $51.69
700-799 $54.65
800-899 $57.60
900-999 $63.71
1000-1099 $66.46
1100-1199 $69.41
1200-1299 $72.37
1300-1399 $75.32
1400-1499 $85.66
1500-1599 $88.61
1600-1699 $91.57
1700-1799 $94.52
1800-1899 $97.48
1900-2000 $100.43

* 2000 (ha) and Over has a separate cost.

Note: The FRAC Office can only receive application(s) that meet the above criteria.

5. How do I obtain a Forest Import/Forest Export License from the Ministry of Forestry?

a. Forest Import License

(i) All importers of logs, branch wood, firewood and bark, and all wood which has been split, sawn or dressed but not otherwise manufactured and fabricated.

(ii) Building units, poles and the like, cross-arms, shakes and shingles, rattan furniture, plywood, block board and others are required to submit an application for a permit to import to the Conservator of Forests. This is to include any imports in-transit through a port of entry in Fiji to another country.

(iii) It is only when the Conservator of Forests is satisfied that all requirements are met that a permit is issued, which may also be subject to additional conditions as the Conservator sees fit for example, the import to be covered by an official phytosanitary certificate etc.

Note: Timber imported without an Import permit will be re-shipped.

b. Forest Export License

(i) Overseas buyer issues Purchase order to Local Company.

(ii) Fill application form according to Purchase order from the buyer.

(iii) Maximum dimension of any piece of timber exported should not exceed 300mm x 150mm (12 x 6 inch or 72 inch sq.)(Dimensions above this specification require Ministerial approval on a one off basis only.

(iv) Original inspection certificate is sent to Biosecurity, a copy and original timber grading certificate is sent to the Ministry of Forestry Head Office with the following:

a. Copy of purchase order

b. Packing list

c. Company invoice

d. CITES permit if native species

e. Custom entry for previous consignment

f. Right License, Removal License and Revenue receipts for Sandalwood export.

(v) Lodged to Ministry of Forestry (processing time is 48 hours as stated in the export procedure).

(vi) Late export application received (after 9am every Friday) will be processed the following week.

(vii) Conservator of Forest issues Export License.

6. What is the importance of an Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) in relation to the Ministry of Forestry?

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a process used to identify the environmental, social and economic impacts of proposed developments. EIA can be used to identify options for reducing the impacts of proposed developments and provide information for the public and government decision-makers.

The Environment Management Act requires EIA of a wide range of development activities, including, but not limited to:

tourism development,

commercial and industrial development,

logging and sawmilling operations,

mining and mineral exploration,

quarries and gravel extraction,

coastal land reclamation.